Following the blue cobblestones of Old San Juan’s historic streets, surrounded by elegant pastel-colored buildings with ornate balconies and heavy wooden doors, we located our destination: Estrella, LLC.
The NWLSO UPR Law School Chapter had organized an afternoon dialogue for fifteen of our members with three practicing female attorneys at Estrella, LLC, a prominent Puerto Rico business litigation law firm.
Yasthel González, Esq., Neyla Ortiz, Esq., and Mayra Artiles, Esq., greeted us at Estrella’s historic Old San Juan building and began by providing us with a brief history of their firm, along with an explanation of their various practice areas and the type of clients they serve.
Managing Partner, Alberto Estrella, Esq., also dropped by and gave us a warm welcome while reinforcing the firm’s goal of fostering female attorneys and providing gender equality in the workplace.
We had the opportunity to hear the insightful advice these three successful women had to offer and used the opportunity to ask various questions. What follows are some of the highlights of this dialogue:
- Respect yourselves and demand respect.
- Never take a case personally.
- Keep your composure and be professional. Always.
- Don’t lose your empathy.
- Keep a good relationship with opposing counsel.
- Prepare for every case as if you’re going to trial. (Though you’ll most likely settle.)
- Ask. Chances are what you want to do has already been done.
- Keep track of what you work on every day. Don’t wait till the end of the week, (or the end of the month!) to bill your hours.
- Don’t trust your phone! Keep a hardcopy calendar.
- Be wary of clients. They might not be telling you the whole truth! (gasp!)
- Keep your CLE credits up to date.
- Seek different experiences!
- Define what you want to do.
We finished our visit with a tour of Estrella’s beautiful rooftop from which we could admire the full view of the San Juan Bay and its incoming ships.
We at the NWLSO UPR Law School Chapter are very grateful to Estrella, LLC, for their time and insights into the world of the business litigation attorney. Until next time!
By: Alejandra Muñiz Marcial www.linkedin.com/in/amuniz
Thank you to our participating members:
Jeanne Ortiz Ortiz 2016
Alejandra Muñiz Marcial 2016
Yamila Rodríguez 2016
Karla Carrillo Russe 2017
Valentina Ossa 2017
Miliette Reyes 2018
Grecia Díaz Sánchez 2018
Myraida Meléndez 2018
Lenny Reyes González 2018
Karla González Vázquez 2018
Nydea K. Rodríguez 2018
Yari Rivera Sanabria 2018